Do you wish to know how to start a blog that makes money (passive income)?
Wouldn’t it be awesome, if in 20 minutes you had a full-functioning, professional blog that you can monetize instantly?
Wouldn’t it be even cooler if all of these cost you less than $45?
Then, you should feel lucky you landed on this guide! All you have to do is to follow the simple steps below (no designing or coding skills required of course!).
(Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links. If you purchase anything from this links, I will earn a commission. Note that not only you will pay anything extra, but also you will get a discount in some of them!)
How To Start A Blog That Makes Money – 4 simple steps
- Choose your domain name and your blog’s topic/niche.
- Choose the best blogging platform (e.g. WordPress)
- Setup your website and your web hosting provider in a few clicks
- Customize your blog’s appearance and write your first post.
Creating a blog in 2018 is quite easy, even for a total beginner!
Step 1: Choose a domain name and what you’re going to blog about
This is probably the most important step of your online journey. If you’re not sure what a domain name is, it’s actually the address of your site (e.g. GoldenBloggerz.com).
Before you pick your domain name, you have to be sure what you want to blog about.
In the case you’re not quite sure yet, list the things you enjoy, some things that you’re good at or passionate about and all the things that you want to learn about. Have a look at this example:
|I love||I’m good at||I wish to learn about|
|Reading||Fixing stuff||Professional software|
Note that you don’t have to be an expert on a topic to blog about it. People love to read content either of the perspective of an expert or the perspective of a beginner that has started his journey. Both can teach a lot of things they have learned. Just be honest with your audience!
If you need more help with choosing your topic, check this page: How to find your perfect blogging niche.
Now that you know exactly what you want to blog about, choose your domain name. In general, a good domain name is one that is:
- Easy to spell and easy to remember
- Doesn’t include special characters such as @##$%^&
- The preferable option for the extension is the .com (because it’s easier to remember) but all extensions are actually fine.
Go to namevine.com to check if the domain name is available, or get ideas for similar names. Also, you can check if your name is available on social media platforms.
Keep reading to learn how to get a free domain name with the best deal currently on the web!
Step 2: Pick the right blogging platform (CMS – Content Management System)
According to the latest statistics, 95% of bloggers and 31% of all websites on the internet are using the WordPress platform. Why?
- It’s free to use.
- It’s easy to use even for a brand new blogger. It doesn’t require any sort of technical knowledge such as coding or web designing.
- It provides thousands of free themes and tools (plug-ins, widgets) to customize your blog as you please.
Now if you are serious for making money online through your blog, avoid free platforms (like Tumblr or Blogspot) at all costs. They don’t worth your time. The reasons are simple:
- You don’t own your blog. This means they can delete it anytime.
- The customization, tools and available space for uploads are pretty limited.
- Your domain name will include something like “blogspot.com”. It looks very unprofessional.
- The loading times of free platforms are slow and this affects directly your Google ranking.
- If you’re showing at your audience that you can’t even afford to host a blog (it costs $1.99/month), they won’t take you seriously.
Step 3: Setup Web Hosting and install WordPress (it’s easier than you think!)
Web Hosting actually means that you buy or rent space on a professional server. It allows you to keep your website online, so everyone can see it anytime.
Choosing the right hosting provider is a very important step in starting your blog. Avoid companies that overprice their services or providers with slow, overloaded servers and bad customer support.
I strongly recommend using iPage. I use it myself and I’m very satisfied. Plus, it offers the greatest value for money on the web:
- 24/7 customer support – You can even ask them to install WordPress for you.
- Free custom domain name – It usually costs $10- $15, so you save even more money.
- Easy WordPress install – It takes just one click and 30 seconds of your time.
- Fee SSL Certificate
- $200 free for advertising – You can use it for placing ads on search engines such as Google or Bing. It’s a very helpful boost for your blog.
- Rapid loading times – This is a crucial factor for ranking higher in Google.
- Beginner friendly – It’s easy to use even if you haven’t previous experience.
- Best value for money – $1.99 if you go for a 3-year plan or $2.99 for the 1-year plan. This equals around $44 for a year or $100 for 3 years (including VAT). Note that companies with the same or lower quality charge around $150 just for a year! They justify it by charging you services that you’ll never use or need.
- 30-day money back guarantee – In the case you’re not satisfied, you can always ask for a full refund!
How to get this valuable offer? Go to iPage.com and click the “Get started now” button.
On the next screen, insert your domain name (double check it) and click “Search”. Make sure it’s available and click “Next, choose my term”.
Here, you can choose your term length. Longer-term plans offer a greater discount. Once you chose your plan, click “Next, customize my plan”.
In this screen unmark all of the offers. You don’t need them. The “Domain Privacy” is up to you (your name and phone number will be visible if someone searches the owner of your site). Next, click “continue to payment.
Finally, fill in your contact information and click “Purchase Now” to select your payment method.
Now it’s time to install WordPress with a few clicks. Keep in mind that you can always ask the iPage support to install WordPress for you.
But it’s easy to do it manually as well. You’ll receive an email from iPage with your login information and you’ll be redirected in the page below. Here click the WordPress icon.
Type the domain name you choose earlier (keep the Directory blank) and click “Next”.
Now, you have to give your website a Title (you can always change it later). Also, you can see your admin password, username, and email. You’ll need these to log in WordPress once it’s installed.
After you click “Next”, you may wait a few seconds for the installation to be completed.
Then, you’ll see a message saying “Your installation was successful” along with your domain and a password. Click on your domain name to transfer to WordPress admin login area.
Enter your login information and… Congratulations! Your site is now Live!
To enter in your blog’s dashboard, type your site’s domain name and add /admin or /wp-admin. (www.yourdomainname.com/admin)
Step 4: Choose a theme and write your first post
Now you can access your WordPress dashboard. From here you are going to manage your whole blog (posts, pages, themes, plug-ins etc). It may seem a little complicated at first, but you’ll get used to in after a few days.
(Check here later the most important FREE plug-ins to kick-start your blog)
To prove how easy it is to use, let’s select your theme! WordPress provides thousands of both free and paid themes. Paid themes provide some extra features, but you don’t currently need them as you just starting out. Try to pick a free theme that includes the following features:
- Tablet & Mobile responsive: Your site should look smooth an all devices, not only on computers.
- Simple Navigation: Your visitors should easily read and find what they’re looking for.
- Easy customization: Removing or placing widgets, changing colors and background images etc.
- Quick loading: The faster your blog loads the better.
- Ready for Search Engine Optimization.
Hopefully, the majority of the free themes include these features. To select your theme, click Appearance, Themes, and then Add New.
Click the “Popular” tab to see the best free themes available. Here you can preview and install any theme you like. Keep in mind that you can change it anytime you wish, without affecting your content.
If you want to further customize your theme, click on Appearance, Customize. On this screen, you can edit your blogs Title, colors, layout, fonts, logo etc.
Tweak the settings as much as you want in order to get used to WordPress. You can preview any change you make before you apply it, so don’t hesitate to click buttons!
However, if your budget isn’t tight and you wish to invest in a professional theme, look no further than Elegant themes. Go to their page and check their “Divi” Theme. It provides thousands of features to upgrade your blog with stunning graphics. Further it’s really easy to use, as it only utilizes the “Drag and Drop” technique.
Now, what about writing your first post? Go to Posts, Add New.
- Title: Enter your post’s title
- Multimedia button: Click here to insert multimedia into your posts such as videos and images.
- Toolbar: Here you can edit your text, implement Headings, and insert hyperlinks.
- Content: This is where you write your post.
- Categories, Tags and Feature image: You can separate your posts by adding different categories and tags. Further, you can set a featured image for your post.
- Once you’re ready, preview your content and hit publish.
You’ve made it! Your first post in online! You’ve successfully completed the first step of your online journey. Creating a blog/online business might not be a piece of cake, but it sure is high-rewarding, life-changing and exciting!
If you have more questions, check the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) about starting a profitable blog. Also, I’d be happy to answer any of your questions in the comment section below.
Did you find the guide helpful? If so, please share it with others that need it as well. To stay in touch, follow me on social media or press “Like”.
How to Start a WordPress Blog Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
WordPress is a free CMS (Content Management System) and you have two options to use it. One is WordPress.com which is totally free but not monetizable and the other one is WordPress.org and you have to pay for web-hosting to use it (and you can make money from it)
WordPress.com is only recommended if you want to experiment with blogging and find out if you like it or if you want to blog without intending to make money from your blog.
On the other side, WordPress.org is much more customizable, faster and professional and you can monetize it. This way, if you want to eventually make money from blogging go with WordPress.org!
WordPress.com is totally free but not monetizable. WordPress.org needs web-hosting (it costs about $3-$4/month) and you can make money from it.
You can literally make money with hundreds of different ways through your blog. The most popular ways are:
1. Displaying Ads
2. Affiliate Marketing
3. Selling Own Products
4. Selling services
5. Email List
6. Placing “Donate” buttons
8. Selling Your Site
1. Purchase quality web-hosting (read guide above)
2. Install WordPress
3. Research online
4. Start creating content
5. Promote it
The best way is using WordPress.com to find out if you really like blogging and to experiment with it. However, you can’t make money from it, so you’ll need WordPress.org to eventually monetize your blog.
When they do, this guide will get updated. However, you can take advantage of our “Best deal on the web” and enjoy free coaching and promotion by following the guide above!
SiteGround is the best web-hosting service with rapid loading speed and excellent customer service!